Monday, June 8, 2009

My Grandfather

My grandfather – ‘Viswanath Ajja’ is visiting us this year. He came during the 2009 Marshall Pomeroy Elementary School's winter break on February 17, 2009. It was the first time in 4 years that he came. Since then, he has helped us a lot and we've had a lot of fun with him.

Ajja keeps us working and always encourages us to work hard and always listens when we want to show him something. My mridanga(drum) teacher says that I'm improving. I think Ajja is affecting this because he is praising & encouraging me. He always tells us that we could do better and always keeps us on task. He can also cook very well. He makes delicious French fries for us occasionally.

Ajja also plays with us when we've done our work. He plays tennis and badminton occasionally We like to challenge ourselves by playing with him.

We also celebrated his birthday on March 12, 2009. He turned 63. I made him a card, poem, and word search. We also celebrated his anniversary on May 12, 2009. I made him a different poem and card for that.

We went to James Lick Observatory on top of Mt. Hamilton with him as well. We have done many things with him, such as helping him take care of my baby cousin Avinash. We played games as well. One of the more recent things we did with him was taking him to a really good restaurant called Saravanaa Bhavan. We ate our lunch there and he said he really liked the food.

Sadly, Ajja is going back to India on June 10, 2009. I'm going to feel very sad. However, at that point, school will almost be over. My grandmother is coming after Ajja leaves. My entire family and I are also going to India for the first time in 3 years. I can't wait for July 3rd so that we can go and visit all our relatives in India.

From February 7th to June 10th, Ajja has helped us achieve our goals. He will be a constant inspiration. I will miss him when he leaves. I want him to visit us again.

June 11, 2009

Ajja left for India today, June 11, 2009. His flight yesterday was canceled. It was me and my sister's last day of school. Ajja left in the morning. However, when we got home, I half expected him to come and congratulate and talk to us like he always did when we got home from school. When he didn't, I remembered he had left. I feel sad, but also a bit happy because he is going to see ajji and the rest of his family in India again.

No comments: