Monday, December 28, 2009

Snow-mobiling

On December 25, 2009, my family and I visited Lake Tahoe. But that is not what this is about. Anyway, at Lake Tahoe, on the 26th, we went snow-mobiling. My parents filled out driving forms while my sister and I grabbed safety gear. We had large helmets and sunglasses that see in yellow. The gloves were hard to control. The jackets were cozy. But I had no trouble with any of those things. I had trouble with the BOOTS! At first, when I stepped out on the snow, I thought that the snow from the ground was so cold that it went through my boots. But when my mom got her gear, I made a startling revelation... ALL THE BOOTS WERE FILLED WITH WATER!!! And in this cold, water becomes ice. So we had to live with that. We bought some hand warmers too. Sadly, I didn’t feel their full effect through my gloves. Anyway, when instructions were given, I listened carefully to every word. My dad drove with me. It was quite dangerous, with sheer drops on one side. At one point, my dad accidentally crashed into a small snow hill a little bit ahead of another crashee (is that a word?). I saved us by screaming,” THE REVERSE BUTTON, THE REVERSE BUTTON!” Someone would have come backed anyway, but hey, I did it, didn’t I. Anyway, when we stopped the halfway point, I was almost knee deep in snow. My mom recommended that we put our heat packs in our boots. I guess I was too numb to feel anything (and what a PAIN, my toe hurt so much), but it heated up my mom’s entire leg. By the time we hopped on our snowmobiles, I was almost crying from cold. I just envisioned warmth, like my mom recommended, and my toes didn’t break off because of frostbite. I got rid of my equipment when we were finished, and fortunately, I survived until we reached the heated car. I loved the experience and all, but let me make a point of the cold of Lake Tahoe, CA:

I AM A CALIFORNIAN. AND IN CALIFORNIA, WE CALL THIS SUPER-ULTRA-MEGA-UBER-HORRID COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

neela said...

Good narration.
enjoyed the post.