Thursday, August 6, 2009

My Visit to Halebidu Temple

On August 3, 2009, my sister & I went to the Halebidu temple from Hassana with our grandparents. It is a very important ancient temple. It is gigantic! There were statues of giant bulls and hundreds of rock carvings!

We left home at about 10:00 A.M. on a bus to Halebidu. It was a bumpy ride. I actually flew a few times!

We got to the temple between 11:00 and 11:30 A.M. My sister and I were hungry, so we ate a small snack. Then we went to the temple. We saw the two giant bull statues. They were the size of elephants. We also looked at the stone carvings on the temple walls. They depicted ancient gods and stories. Sadly, most of the temple’s carvings were damaged beyond repair. The gods were missing a number of hands, and it was rare to find an elephant, tiger, or horse with there head, tail, or legs all still stuck to their bodies.

The inside of the temple was dark. It was very small and plain compared to the outside of the temples.

At between 12:00 and 12:30 P.M., we ate our lunch. We had bhath and mosrana. We gave the leftovers to 2 dogs.

Then we went to the archeological museum. Everything was damaged. You couldn’t find a single peacock statue with its head still on its body. There were Hero Stones and inscribed slabs, as well as statues and archways. My sister and I asked our grandmother to read the slabs, but she said they were in old Kannada, and that she couldn’t read it.

We went to another mountaintop temple. However, it was very small. It took us 5 minutes to see the whole thing.

Then we went home on a bus. My sister and I took some short naps. We got home at 3:00 P.M.

No comments: