Saturday, August 21, 2010

Iron Hills Triathalon

Yesterday, 8-21-10, I went to the Iron Hills Youth Triathalon. A triathalon is a athletic race in which competitors bike, swim, and run. At Iron Hills, I was in the 11-15 age group, so I had to swim 8 25 meter laps, bike 6.6 miles, and run 1.4 miles. People participate in triathalons because it is a good test of endurance and speed, as well as good exercise.

In the morning, I woke up at 4:30 A.M. and we left for the triathalon at 5:55 A.M. The triathalon was2 hours away, at El Dorado Hills, so we had to get up early to get there before it started at 8:30 A.M.

I registered 1 week before the triathalon. I had gone to 4 weeks of swim camp, coincidentally, and I was riding my bike most days in the summer as well. In my one week, I ran 2 days and did much more biking for 3 days.

I was in the 5th heat of swimming. In swimming, I was 8th, I think. Then we went biking in our swimming clothes. Real warm guys, real warm. The last bit was running. I went the whole way, and I was the slowest, but at least I didn't give up like some people. The triathalon was meant to be a "friendly, non-competitive challenge", so I didn't care what place I was in.

All the people who worked on the triathalon were very good. They encouraged me a lot even when I going really slowly and was having a hard time. When I finished, they applauded my endurance.

At the award ceremony, they called me up for third place, but then told me that it was a mistake and I was fourth. But in the girls list of times, I was number 3. I guess that that's okay, since I was one of the younger participants in the 11-15 age group, and the even younger kids started earlier and had less to do, so I guess I did well. I'm just happy the I finished the race, instead of giving up. Some kids did give up, I'm just happy I wasn't one of them. Finally, my family and I were happy. My parents thought that I wouldn't finish, which they told me after the triathalon. Thanks for the confidence, guys. Thanks...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Abhi! Looking forward to hearing all about the triathalon--hopefully we can train together for your next one!! Great job:)