Sunday, August 15, 2010

Learning HTML

This summer, I have been learning HTML. At first, I couldn't even get it to register as HTML, but my dad helped me figure it out. FYI, a notepad HTML file has to be in All Files. Anyway, I kept learning it from davesite.com! Visit DaveSite! That was a link! I made it with HTML. At first, I did easy tasks like bolding, italicizing, making horizontal lines, etc etc. Then I started my website, Chez La Homei. It's based after our Christmas feast, which you can read about in a previous post.At first, I just came up with simple words. Then I added a few fonts and a little color. The I made some unordered list for a simple menu. The next thing I made was pictures. I had to debug it a lot because I kept messing it up. I now know that to make a picture, I have to use an "img src" tag with the web address of the picture, the EXACT address. Then I turned the pictures into thumbnails. It took me a longer time to figure that out because for that, the internet was absolutely useless. I had to crop pictures in paint, put them in a different page, put the "a href tag" with the real pictures address and "img src" as the address of the cropped picture. I then added staff biographies with a lot of color and fonts. Then I put up a video and added even MORE colors and fonts, as well as splitting the menu and adding some new items. Then I had to web host it. At first, I thought Yahoo hosting was just a text editor. Then I tried to make a page with a different thing, but the page got butchered for no apparent reason. I kept trying to fix it, but my first choice couldn't be edited, and the second wouldn't show up. Finally, I figured out that the code had to be in Index.html. I had posted all the pictures on this blog and put the pictures up with them, since the pictures wouldn't show up if I didn't bring it from the Internet. Then I had to get rid of them and instead used the code. Turns out the addresses stayed the same when I put them up on a virtually inaccessible part of my website that only I can access and I linked the pictures. Finally, it's done, and I got $20 for making it! I'm going to continue fixing up my website and by next year, I'll be studying Java. Go visit Chez La Homei! BTW, both links in this post were made by me using HTML.

P.S. School starts tomorrow

No comments: